[Haskell-beginners] Some beginning questions for Haskell

Liu shuping lsp.lhh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 00:04:07 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am new to Haskell, currently I am doing .Net development on windows
platform. I began to know about Haskell for the reason when I knew some C#
lambda features come from functional language. I am interested in Haskell
from the very beginning when I saw it.

For I am really a very beginner, I get some basic questions:
1. Can you have some very general information to explain why use Haskell or
functional language.
2. Is it a right choice of Haskell if I want to develop some geology
software which mainly doing some huge numerical computation which takes long
long time?
3. How about user interface, is Haskell capable to build application with
complex user interface? or should I just use Haskell to build the core
engine and user other language to build the user interface?
4. Is Haskell cross-platform? I mean if the Haskell source code is "code
once and build everywhere?"
5. Are there any successful applications built with Haskell?  they can give
me a direct scene of what Haskell can do.

I appreciated any of your information or comments.

--
Sincerely,

Liu Shuping

Ocean University of China