[Haskell-beginners] Is haskell a good choice for someone, who never programmed before?

edgar klerks edgar.klerks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 16:36:46 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I have a question. A friend of mine wants to learn a programming language,
because we work together. He studied economics and is busy in the financial
sector. I understood Haskell is used there pretty much, so he got interested
in it. But is haskell a good language for someone, who never even tried a
language like basic?

I also want to know if someone has an idea, what a good approach is to
start. I think real world haskell is a bit tough to begin with. He is an
analytical thinker, so I think he can learn it, but I don't want to scare
him away.

He is interested in functional languages, because he knows the banking
sector uses it a lot. Maybe lisp is a better start?

I thought I first let him read:
http://learnyouahaskell.com/introductionbecause it start with using
haskell as a calculator. That seems to be pretty
basic.

And mathematics, where to start? I thought algebra, but I am not sure if
that is too advanced. He doesn't want to be programming wonder, but he would
like to solve simple things.

Tnx for your help, your input is appreciated.

Greetings,

Edgar