[Haskell-beginners] Brainfuck interpreter stack overflow

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Thu Jan 21 07:06:54 EST 2010

Am Mittwoch 20 Januar 2010 16:45:41 schrieb Edgar Klerks:
> Hello,
>
> I just started using haskell and found it many uses for it (mainly for
> scripting purposes at the moment). Now, I have written a brainfuck
> parser and interpreter in haskell, but it produces a stack overflow if
> the program runs too long and I don't understand why. I thought I made
> the interpreter loop tail recursive, which I understood is the most
> common cause of a stack overflow. Can someone help my find my fault? I
> somehow miss something. I added the program as attachment.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Edgar Klerks

A quick look revealed that you use Control.Monad.State, which defaults to
Control.Monad.State.Lazy. That is very often too lazy for longer
calculations and produces a stack overflow.
Maybe changing the import to Control.Monad.State.Strict helps (that isn't
entirely strict either, but often reduces the opportunities for building
large thunks sufficiently).