[Haskell-beginners] Cannot rebuild GHC 6.12.1 due to Cabal type conflict

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 02:27:33 EST 2010

Hey all.

I wanted to rebuild GHC 6.12.1 from source (a downloaded tarball).

After the initial install I went and updated Cabal (from a tarball
grabbed from Hackage).

When I now try to do a rebuild of GHC, I get this error

     Couldn't match expected type `InstalledPackageInfo_ String'
            against inferred type
       Expected type: [InstalledPackageInfo_ String]
       Inferred type:
     In the second argument of `map', namely `conf'
     In the first argument of `return', namely
         `(map installedPackageInfoToPackageConfig conf)'
make[1]: *** [compiler/stage1/build/Packages.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

(also here: http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=16380#a16380)

I'm running the build like this:

make distclean
sh boot
./configure --enable-shared
make -j 2

but (I'm guessing) it's looking at the already-installed Cabal libs and
not liking what it's getting.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

James Britt

www.neurogami.com            - Smart application development