[Haskell-beginners] testing and the culture of Haskell

Michael Easter codetojoy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:04:33 EST 2010

Folks,

A friend asked me about Test-Driven Development (TDD) within the FP
community. I realize
the FP community is larger than a Haskell mailing list, but I wanted to get
a sense from this
camp.

I'm a fan of Haskell but I can't say that I know the culture yet. That said,
I'm writing as *a fan* and
not a critic. These are genuine, earnest questions.

Q: Is TDD advocated the Haskell community? Is it controversial? Is it even
on the radar?

Q: If TDD is not advocated: why? Is there something about the Zen of Haskell
development that
is an impedance mismatch with TDD?

Q: Note that TDD and "writing tests" are different things. With respect to
"writing tests", I know
that HUnit exists and that RWH has a chapter on quality assurance.

Given that, I'd like to know: how widely is HUnit used? If you were to start
a new Haskell project, would you
include HUnit (a) immediately (b) eventually (c) maybe (d) another adjective
?

sincerely
Michael Easter

--