[Haskell-beginners] Equivalent of inheritance in Haskell

dan portin danportin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 07:43:00 CET 2010

You might be interested in Oleg's paper Haskell's Overlooked Object
System<http://homepages.cwi.nl/%7Eralf/OOHaskell/code.html>,
although programming in an object-oriented style is neither elegant nor
idiomatic Haskell. Aside from the actual embedding of an object-oriented
language inside Haskell, the main benefit of the paper is the opening survey
of approaches to object-oriented style programming in Haskell. Not
surprisingly, however, encapsulation and subtyping are the most difficult
concepts from object-oriented languages to capture with Haskell type classes
and algebraic data types.