[Haskell-beginners] Equivalence of Inheritance

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 19:11:08 CET 2010

I'm also confused about how to do the equivalence of inheritance in Haskell.
 Here is a complete example below.  It doesn't compile. The error message
is

Class `Person' used as a type

If I write "(Person p) =>" instead, I get other diagnostics.

I would very much appreciate seeing how this should be done in Haskell.

---------- Example (multiple files) ------------
--- Group.hs ---
module Group where

import Person

data Group = Group { members :: [Person] }

instance Show Group where
  show group = unlines $ map show $ members group

--- Person.hs ---

module Person
   (
     Condition(Bad, OK, Good)
   , Person
   )
where

class Person where
  age :: Person -> Int

  name :: Person -> String

  getGenderSpecificCondition :: Person -> Condition

instance Show Person where
  show p = name p ++ "(" ++ age p ++ ", " ++  getGenderSpecificCondition p
++ ")"

data Condition = Bad | OK | Good

--- Man.hs ---
module Man
     ( age
     , name
     , Man (Man)
     )
where

import Person

data Man = Man { name :: String
                        , age  :: Int
                        , prostateCondition :: Condition
                        }

instance Person Man where
    getGenderSpecificCondition :: Person -> Condition
    getGenderSpecificCondition m = prostateCondition m

--- Woman.hs---
module Woman
     ( age
     , name
     , Woman (Woman)
     )
where

import Person

data Woman = Woman { name :: String
                                 , age  :: Int
                                 , ovaryCondition :: Condition
                                 }

instance Person Woman where
    getGenderSpecificCondition :: Person -> Condition
    getGenderSpecificCondition w = ovaryCondition w

---------- End example (multiple files) ------------

Thanks

*-- Russ *