[Haskell-beginners] instances of different kinds

Greg greglists at me.com
Sun Aug 29 06:23:29 EDT 2010

On Aug 28, 2010, at 5:11 AM, Jürgen Doser wrote:
> I would say it like this: div2pi does not return a type of Floating
> value of its own choosing, it is able to return every type of Floating
> value (the concrete type is then chosen by the context in each case
> where div2pi is used).

And here is the "a-ha" moment!  I've been looking at return types as values "pushed" from the functions, but they are in fact "pulled" by the caller.  That makes a lot of sense in the functional paradigm of Haskell, but it didn't click how this relates to the type system.  In an imperative language like C, the function declares what it is going to return, and the caller is responsible for dealing with it.  In Haskell, the function is more of a transformation applied to its inputs and the caller requests that a value of a certain type be returned.  The class definition gives the range of choices available.

Thank you both.

Also, Jürgen, thank you for the worked example you provided.  It runs just fine on my side as well and gives me something to toy with: