[Haskell-beginners] Re: Encapsulation and Polymorphism

Ozgur Akgun ozgurakgun at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 08:32:20 EDT 2010

Stephen,

I see your point, and I am not a fan of OO style programming in Haskell. I
just wanted to answer OP's question.

In OOP you can have a list of objects of different types, provided they are
subclasses of a common class. But then. you can only apply methods of the
base class to the elements of this list. (Yes you can do some fiddling to
recover the actual type of an element, but you can do similar things in
Haskell as well)

If you desperately want to achieve this effect in Haskell, you can. But
there most probably are better ways of doing things idiomatically.

Best,
Ozgur