[Haskell-beginners] Question about ghc and cabal: finding packages

Mathew de Detrich deteego at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 03:57:50 EDT 2010

If you install a package through cabal install, it will automatically
register with GHC (it works the same way that gems works on ruby for
example)

Using runhaskell <commands> is whats used when manually building/configuring
packages (for example creating archlinux packages from cabal packages from
hackage) or when you are developing and creating cabal packages yourself

(in other words, when you do cabal install, cabal internally does all the
commands for configuring/checking dependencies/building and installing)

So you should be able to use use the package instantly after you install it
(you can also use ghc-pkg list to check all installed packages)