[Haskell-beginners] Parsec

C Gosch ch.gosch at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 6 05:03:50 EDT 2010

2010/8/6 Dean Herington <heringtonlacey at mindspring.com>

> At 11:42 PM +0200 8/5/10, C Gosch wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> does anyone here know their way around in Parsec?
>> I'm trying to parse a file which contains some binary parts too.
>> I have been using Parsec 3.0.1 to parse the first ASCII part, but all the
>> parsers are
>> returning Char type tokens, so it would not work with the binary parts ..
>> is there any way to do this?
>> I am using Text.Parsec.ByteString.Lazy.
>>
>> Note that I'm new to Haskell and Parsec, and doing this within a small
>> project that
>> I basically do to get a grip on Haskell (and Parsec, because it appears to
>> be really nifty and I want to learn more about it).
>>
>> Thanks for any hints,
>> Christian
>>

> Parsing binary parts of a file is not inherently a problem.  A parser can
> return any type; different parsers in your application will likely return
> different types.
>
> If you include some code we'll be able to help you more specifically.
>
> Dean

You're right, I probably used the wrong words .. I meant that apparently the
tokens Parsec uses are of type Char, and I would actually at some point
like to continue parsing, but using different tokens. Sorry if I still got
it wrong, I'm new :)  I can post some code later, as I don't have it here
right now.

Cheers,
Christian