[Haskell-beginners] Boilerplate Code

Matt Andrew mjsaand at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 22:07:08 EDT 2010

I had a play today and managed to figure out how to write the code I needed. If anyone is curious the resulting code is:

{-# LANGUAGE TemplateHaskell #-}
module Template where

import Language.Haskell.TH

typeChecker :: String -> Q Exp
typeChecker schemeType = do
  x <- newName "x"
  return $ LamE [VarP x] (CaseE (VarE x) [Match (ConP ty [WildP]) (NormalB (AppE (ConE bool) (ConE true))) [],Match WildP (NormalB (AppE (ConE bool) (ConE false))) []])
       where ty = mkName schemeType
             bool = mkName "Bool"
             true = mkName "True"
             false = mkName "False"

I then import this module into where I am defining the predicates (templates have to be defined in a seperate module), where the code becomes:

numberP :: SchemeVal -> SchemeVal
numberP = $(typeChecker "Number")

boolP :: SchemeVal -> SchemeVal
boolP = $(typeChecker "Bool")

symbolP :: SchemeVal -> SchemeVal
symbolP = $(typeChecker "Symbol")

So, as I always knew, not really worth the effort as I've written a 13 line module to save 3 lines of code, but a good learning experience =) Thanks again for the point in the right direction.

Cheers,

Matt