[Haskell-beginners] package random requires two versions of time

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 21:29:16 EDT 2010

Running 'cabal configure' on one of our code bases gives:

package random-1.0.0.2 requires time-1.1.4
package random-1.0.0.2 requires time 1.2.03

in addition to several other such warnings. This one is the oddest however
since it is the same version of random that presumably requires two
different versions of time. How can that be? Output of 'cabal info random'
gives:

Dependencies: base >= 3 && <5, time -any

This happens only on a Debian system, in which I installed the Haskell
Platform using apt-get.