[Haskell-beginners] Re: Compiling C into Haskell

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Apr 13 03:35:39 EDT 2010

Hein Hundal wrote:

> I currently don't know enough about Haskell to answer the question
> "Will Haskell be fast, quick to code, and very useful for this
> project?"

Haskell is extremely quick to code and can be made fast, but you have to
spend time learning it. It's not a language that you can just pick up
like that when coming from an imperative background, especially
concerning the "can be made fast" part.

> For my machine learning project, I will definitely have to do a lot
> of complex operations on matrices.  I want the abstraction power of
> Lisp, but all the compilers for Lisp seem to produce rather slow
> executables.  I was hoping that Haskell might work for this project
> or Haskell plus the LAPACK numerical computation library.

What are the complex operations you want to do on matrices? There is the
 hmatrix  that binds to LAPACK and is a pleasure to use, but it's mainly
about matrix multiplication and other numerical matrix operations.

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com