[Haskell-beginners] Distributing executables

Alp Mestan alp at mestan.fr
Tue Sep 29 04:53:48 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>wrote:

> It could be a good extension to Cabal (not the tool), currently
> there's the target 'sdist', maybe add a target 'wininst'.  Similar to
> how Python's distutils have targets for MSI and Windows installers.

Actually, I was more thinking about a separate tool. Something you'd just
install, from cabal/apt/pacman/whatever, using some external system tools to
check out dependencies of the application, then packaging everything and
putting some install.sh script around for linux, and a nice installer under
Windows, etc. It is just an idea, but the main point here is that it'd just
be "simple". (of course, the idea I describe may fail heavily for packaging
very complex and heavy apps, IMO, but I think there are workarounds)

PS : shouldn't we move this discussion to -cafe ?

--
Alp Mestan
http://blog.mestan.fr/