[Haskell-beginners] Class definition syntax

Shawn Willden shawn-haskell at willden.org
Sat Oct 31 21:47:15 EDT 2009

On Saturday 31 October 2009 10:33:10 am Joe Fredette wrote:
> You'll probably need to look at associated types/functional
> dependencies. The former is the new hotness, the latter is the old and
> not-so-busted. A quick search of the wiki ought to reveal much more
> than I can possibly explain, there is an example on the page for
> Assoc. Types about generic Map implementation, which is similar to
> what you're trying to do.

Hmm.  That looks like it will require a deeper dive into the theory than I
want to make right now.  I don't yet understand what a kind is yet, much less
how to write an appropriate kind signature.  It appears to be a somewhat
disconcerting fact that learning Haskell requires reading original research
papers on type theory and lambda calculus.  I suppose I need to get over my
reluctance and dive into some of that -- but I lack the big slabs of time
needed to immerse myself in it enough to make useful progress.

Learning Haskell appears to be something one should do as a college
student :-)

	Shawn.