[Haskell-beginners] Re: parsing upto n items with parsec

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:22:48 EDT 2009

Thanks. So I tried
upTo n p =
    liftM2 (:) p (upTo (n-1) p)

which doesn't quite work because the recursion does not have a base case.
The following gets me closer:

upTo n p =
    if n <= 0 then
        return []
    else
        liftM2 (:) p (upTo (n-1) p)

> parse (upTo 3 digit) "" "123ab"
Right "123"

However:

> parse (upTo 4 digit) "" "123ab"
Left (line 1, column 4):
unexpected "a"
expecting digit

The semantics of (upTo n p) should be to parse at most n tokens, but if less
than n tokens are available that should still be a successful parse. And the
next token should be the first one upTo failed on.

I attempted to use the "try" parser in various locations but that doesn't
seem to help, or maybe I'm using it incorrectly.