[Haskell-beginners] Re: Advantage to installing Hugs with GHC?

John Velman velman at cox.net
Mon Oct 5 11:15:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 11:40:13AM +0200, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> Brent Yorgey wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 02:53:44PM -0700, John Velman wrote:
> >> My machine is an iMac running Leopard, 10.5.8.  I've installed GHC from
> >> the haskell-platform-..(Leopard/x86) disk image.  Ghci works fine as far as
> >> I can tell.
> >>
> >> Is there any particular advantage to also installing Hugs?
> >
> > Not really, unless (say) you are following some tutorial that specifically uses it.
>
> Well, Hugs does start much faster than ghci on my machine, but that's
> about the only advantage. :)
>

> Regards,
> apfelmus

Thanks -- I can't notice any delay when starting ghci (I didn't always have
a fast machine!).

Also, I guess if something in a tutorial really depends on Hugs, it would
be something that I really don't need to know (unless I plan on using
Hugs,that is).

I'll skip installing Hugs.

Thanks to both.

John Velman