[Haskell-beginners] fail: wxhaskell with cabal

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Fri Nov 27 17:18:55 EST 2009

Am Freitag 27 November 2009 22:22:03 schrieb Josh Bronson:
> Ah. Is there a better GUI library to work with?

I don't know which one is 'better' for what purposes, but gtk2hs is much used.
It is unfortunately, as far as I know, not cabalised, so you'd have to manually install
it.

> Is cabal along with
> the Haskell Platform a good idea? Or is it better to just stick with
> libraries that install natively using APT on Ubuntu? I'm just trying

Don't know if it's still true, but the debian packages used to lag far behind hackage, so
that used to not be a serious option. If nowadays the debian-haskell packagers are up to
speed, apt-get has advantages over cabal install.

> to write a little GUI application (John Conway's Game of Life) to
> learn Haskell.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Daniel Fischer
>
> <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> > Which reminds me, I've *never* succeeded building wxhaskell, I wonder how
> > many managed.

This is now no longer true. I read the header "dialup.h" and replaced the "undeclared"
macros wxEVT_DIALUP_(DIS)CONNECTED with the appropriate values in eljevent.cpp, then
wxcore built and afterwards also wx. I haven't tested it, so it may be broken, but if it
is, that shouldn't be the cause, I think.