[Haskell-beginners] Re: Installing packages in Ubuntu

Maurí­cio CA mauricio.antunes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:19:39 EST 2009

> I'm a beginner to both Cabal and Linux.
> I'm a bit confused as to whether I need to be using Cabal when installng
> packages.

There's no real confront between then, as cabal will default to
install its packages in your home directory. Follow this rule in
Ubuntu: install what's available from Ubuntu repositories (using
Synaptic) and, whenever you want, need or feel like doing it,
install from cabal. If something goes wrong for any reason, just

   rm ~/.cabal

and you get back to what you have in a fresh install.

(If you are a begginer in Haskell: also do use cabal system to
package your own programs. This will give you a good understandment
on how the package system work, and let you more confortable to
experiment with advanced language features.)

Best,
Maurício