[Haskell-beginners] Re: Is Haskell for me?

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 18:37:30 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Felipe Lessa <felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/09, Gaius Hammond <gaius at gaius.org.uk> wrote:
>> To be fair, Python offloads its heavy lifting to C libraries - NumPy
>> and SciPy run at very close to full C speed on large datasets. This is
>> also how Matlab works. Unladen Swallow is an upcoming JIT compiler for
>> Python.
>>
>> Where Haskell shines for computation is when you can leverage lazy
>> evaluation.
>
> *If* you can offload most of your work to SciPy. Depending on what you
> do this is at least difficult. I don't know how much of a neural
> network can be represented as big fat matrix :).
>
> --
> Felipe.

Neural networking can be easily handled in both Python and C.
I've used my own Graphine graph theory package for it and
found that it was quite easy and reasonably fast, and certainly
LEDA is a very high performance, pretty easy-to-use library.
There's no need to coerce ANNs into a matrix form if you don't
want to.

Geremy Condra