[Haskell-beginners] Applicative Parsec

Matthias Guedemann matthias.guedemann at ovgu.de
Fri Nov 6 11:22:04 EST 2009

Hi,

what is the benefit if you use Applicative for Parsec instead of Monad?

I wrote a converter from a textfile format to a csv file. In order to get more
familiar with Haskell I wrote it using Parsec.
At first I had some difficulties and the monadic version seemed easier, but now
it works as Applicative version and Parsec seems really straightforward.

For me, the Applicative version looks more functional and the monadic version
looks more imperative. It seems that Applicative is enough for Parsers (think I
remember a citation somewhere), but does it have a real advantage?

best regards,
Matthias

Dipl. Inf. Matthias Guedemann              / __\/ _\  /__\
Computer Systems in Engineering           / /   \ \  /_\
Otto-von-Guericke Universitaet Magdeburg / /___ _\ \//__
Tel.: 0391 / 67-19359                    \____/ \__/\__/