[Haskell-beginners] cabal install readline: Missing HSReadlline.h on Mac OS X Leopard

man manuel.a.castro at gmail.com
Sun May 24 11:49:08 EDT 2009

I got this error installing readline (I really was installing lambdabot, it
depends on readline):

Configuring readline-1.0.1.0...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for GNUreadline.framework... checking for readline... yes
checking for rl_readline_version... yes
checking for rl_begin_undo_group... yes
checking for rl_erase_empty_line... yes
checking for rl_free_undo_list... yes
checking for rl_completion_word_break_hook in -lreadline... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating config.mk
config.status: creating readline.buildinfo
config.status: creating include/HsReadlineConfig.h
cabal: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing header file: HsReadline.h
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags
--extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it is.
lambdabot-4.2.2.1 depends on readline-1.0.1.0 which failed to install.
readline-1.0.1.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1

This is on Leopard, with GNUreadline installed. As far as I see, HSReadline
is an internally generated header in readline-1.0.1.0, how possibly cabal
may be missing it? I got nothing with google, only that readline seems to be
problematic on OSX.

PS: I just installed cabal-install in ~/.cabal, it installs other packages
without fuss (gsl-random being an exception, but it may be the GSL part...).

Any help welcome!

--
happy hacking... man