[Haskell-beginners] Pros and Cons of Haskell libsndfile packages?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Thu May 7 20:09:25 EDT 2009

Charles Turner wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I noticed that there were two different packages that provided a
> Haskell interface to the libsndfile library:
>
> hsndfile: <http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/hsndfile

That one is a indeed a haskell wrapper around libsndfile, while this one:

> HSoundFile: <http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/HSoundFile

is not, but rather, seems to be a pure Haskell Wave file decoder/encoder.
It does not (yet) seem to handle other formats.

> Does anyone have any comments of the relative merits of either of these?

I'm probably biased, but I'm sure the former (hsndfile) opens more file
formats and is more robust when parsing malformed files.

Erik