[Haskell-beginners] Re: Selecting a GUI toolkit

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri May 1 11:25:53 EDT 2009

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> I thought wxWidgets was actually one of the only toolkits that actually
> *used* the native GUI libraries???
> See e.g. http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxWidgets_Compared_To_Other_Toolkits
>
> So I don't understand how come the look and feel is different then...

Using native GUI libraries is necessary, but not sufficient for
achieving the same look and feel. :)

Other elements are layout and spacing,

  http://developer.apple.decenturl.com/human-interface-guidelines-layout
  http://developer.apple.decenturl.com/hi-guidelines-windows

drag & drop,

  http://developer.apple.decenturl.com/hi-guidelines-dragndrop

writing style and fonts

  http://developer.apple.decenturl.com/human-interface-guidelines-text

etc, etc.

Daniel Carrera wrote:
>>  Thirdly, the textlogs have different fonts. Again, the wxHaskell one
>> looks non-standard.
>>
> Honestly, I can't tell. They are both very similar, sans fonts. Also, the
> font could  be explained by the fact that these screen shots are taken on
> different computers (different OS versions, different settings).

There is a default set of fonts

  http://developer.apple.decenturl.com/human-interface-guidelines-text

The "mini system font" is the typography of choice for text boxes, but
it looks the "application font" is acceptable as well.

> In any case, I think these differences are minor.

I don't. :)

> More importantly, I'm not sure that a different cross-platform
> toolkit would do a better job.

True, that. It's just that this doesn't mean that wxWidgets does a very
good job.

Regards,
apfelmus

--