[Haskell-beginners] Re: question about show -- RWH chapter 5

7stud bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 12:20:46 EDT 2009

Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer <at> web.de> writes:

> > $ ghc -o simple Main.hs PutJSON.hs SimpleJSON.hs
> > /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: warning -F: directory
> name
> > (/Users/me/Library/Frameworks) does not exist
> >
> > $ simple
> > hello
> >
> > Also can anyone tell me why I always get that warning?
>
> Does the directory exist? If it exists, is in in the linker path?

No it doesn't exist.  There is a directory:

/Library/Frameworks

This is what I did to install ghc:

1) I downloaded GMP.framework and GNUreadline.framework, which my mac
automatically unzipped and placed on my desktop.  I then dragged the
resulting two folders into /Library/Frameworks as per the instructions at:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_682.html#macosxintel

2) I downloaded ghc-6.8.2

3) I unzipped an untared into /Users/me/my_tar_extractions

4) I cd'ed into the newly created ghc-6.8.2 folder.

5) I read the INSTALL document in the ghc-6.8.2 folder.

6) I ran the command:

$ ./configure

7) Then I ran the command:

$ sudo make install

8)  At the end of the install output, I got a message that said:
Installation of ghc-6.8.2 was successful.

To use, add /usr/local/bin to your PATH.

Warning: this binary distribution does NOT contain documentation!

9) I appended /usr/local/bin onto the PATH in ~/.bash_profile.

After unzipping and untaring ghc, should I have put the
ghc-6.8.2 folder in /Library/Frameworks like I did with
GMP.framework and GNUreadline.framework?  Can I still do that?