[Haskell-beginners] Tutorial/Book with Exercises

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 25 10:40:22 EDT 2009

Zachary Turner wrote:
> Which book or tutorial has the best exercises?  Whenever I learn a
> language I like to do tons of exercises, and in fact I keep a list of
> books with great exercises.  I currently have Real World Haskell and
> Programming in Haskell (Hutton), but I feel the exercises in these books
> are lacking.

Hi Zachary, great question. I just recently purchased "Real World
Haskell" and "The Haskell School of Expression" (SOE). I'm also working
through Hal Daume III's "Yet Another Haskell Tutorial" (YAHT), free online.

YAHT has some hard exercises, early on. He introduces continuations in
chapter 4, briefly, and then casually asks you to rewrite map and filter
  in continuation-passing-style. I was stumped. But most of the
exercises are approachable.

I have looked at Simon Thompson's book (The Craft of Functional
Programming) in the bookstore and it looks elegantly written.

If I'm working alone, I also appreciate having the answers to the
exercises available somewhere. I like to solve the problem, then go see
how much more elegantly the answer key did it. There is a website with
answers to SOE's exercises:

<http://www.elbeno.com/haskell_soe_blog/?page_id=24>

YAHT includes the answers in the appendix.

I don't know about Thompson's book; maybe he can tell us where to find
the answers, or if they are in the appendix.

Thanks,
Mike