[Haskell-beginners] Explicit specification of function types

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 24 00:21:42 EDT 2009

I'm a beginner just learning about type inference (through getting lots
of error messages and using :t a lot). I find it fascinating, and it
seems a shame to disregard this power by declaring all types. However I
realize that it's the more global or critical types that should be
declared, and more local areas can be left to inference. Perhaps also
the compiler's ability to infer is related to its ability to detect
compile-time type errors. In other words, if you program a compiler to
be sensitive enough to detect all type errors at compile time, then by
necessity you are giving it the smarts to infer types. Is that right?

Thanks,
Mike