[Haskell-beginners] appropriateness of haskell for GUIs

Michael P Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 20 19:16:38 EDT 2009

Hello, I'm totally new to Haskell. I'm thinking of using it for a
personal project, which is a gui-based musical score editor. (*) Why
Haskell? I've always been interested in proving my software's
correctness, usually in practical and informal sense. In other words, I
would like to reduce bugs by having a really good understanding of what
my software does. I also just want to learn Haskell.

Before I invest a lot of time in learning Haskell, however, I want to
understand if it's the right language for doing a gui-based musical
score editor. First of all, I need a gui toolkit of some sort, and I
notice that bindings to Qt exist. I'm already very familiar with Qt, so
that's good. I also need to access the Windows midi api, and I see there
is a module called hmidi.

However, a gui program is essentially event driven and heavily interacts
with the outside world. I don't know how compatible these ideas are with
Haskell.

If I don't use Haskell, I will probably use Python, which I already know
well. So basically the question is: Haskell or Python? Note: I would
enjoy learning Haskell, so this is not a question of which language is
better in an absolute sense... if Haskell is suitable, but not the best
choice, I will still probably use it.

Thanks,
Mike

(*) For those who ask why I'm doing my own music score editor when many
already exist, it's because it needs to be integrated with my own
computer-assisted composition system. As an editor, it will be
primitive: that's not its main purpose.