[Haskell-beginners] Re: Hudak state emulation discussion - can you give me some idea?

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 05:59:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:02:34 +0530, Girish Bhat
<girishbhat6620 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>[...]
>>
>> Hope this helps....
>>
>Thanks! It does. I think what threw me was that while there is enough
>redundancy in what he states for someone more clever than me, he would
>have explicitly stated before hand  that he was defining the operators
>[:=], [+'], ['if] etc.:)

But he did; specifically, on pages 405 (the previous page) to 406 of
the volume, Hudak writes as follows:

>For expository purposes we would like to
>make the state as implicit as possible, and
>thus we express the result as a composition
>of higher-order functions. To facilitate this
>and to make the result look as much like
>the original program as possible, we define
>the following higher-order infix operators
>and functions(22):

So he did in fact explicitly state beforehand that he was defining
those operators.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^