[Haskell-beginners] installing cabal with 6.10 - ubuntu

B bburdette at comcast.net
Sat Mar 7 19:06:05 EST 2009

So I was wanting to try out some code that relies on 6.10, I'm using
ubuntu 8.04.  Also, I'd like to have cabal installed so I can get and
install packages easily.

I found some directions online that said that compiling from source
might be a good way to go.  I downloaded and compiled ghc 6.10.1,
installing it locally.  The directions I used:

----------- directions ------------
I use 6.8.3 and 6.10.1 on ubuntu without problems. I always build ghc
from source. It takes a bit of cpu time, but not much effort on my part.
Assuming I've got an older version of GHC in my path, here's all I do:

	tar -xjf ~/Downloads/ghc-6.10.1-src.tar.bz2
	tar -xjf ~/Downloads/ghc-6.10.1-src-extralibs.tar.bz2
	cd ghc-6.10.1/
	echo "HADDOCK_DOCS = YES" >mk/build.mk
	./configure --prefix /usr/local/ghc-6.10.1
	make -j
	sudo make install
------- end of  directions --------

Ok so I did this.  It works!  Then, wanting to keep things simple, I
removed ghc 6.8.3 so I'd only have one compiler and libraries around -
lessening the chance of wierd conflicts.  Done.

Now to install cabal-install.  Directions I got:

       - unpack cabal-install-0.6.2.tar.gz somewhere
       - cd into the resulting directory and run "sh bootstrap.sh"
       - add "~/.cabal/bin" to you path.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me.  bootstrap.sh requires parsec
and network.  parsec, in turn, requires mtl.

- installed mtl
- installed parsec

Ok.  Now when I go to build network I get this:
Could not find module `Data.Generics':
       it is a member of package base-3.0.3.0, which is hidden

According to google, the above message actually indicates that 'syb' is
needed, the bug is here:

- installed syb-0.1.0.0.
- still get the same message.

At this point I'm stuck!

I should say that I'm using this to install all these things:

runhaskell Setup configure --user
runhaskell Setup build
runhaskell Setup install

So everything is installed 'locally' and not globally.

Thanks for any help with this - I feel like this is harder than it is
supposed to be, what am I missing??