[Haskell-beginners] GHC compiling for different platforms

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jun 30 04:09:30 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Felipe Lessa<felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 01:39:49AM -0400, Sean Bartell wrote:
>> I don't know about Haskell, but in C you could set up a chroot (your distro
>> might have docs).
>
> chroot'ing is a nice solution in that it works almost for free
> compared to virtualization, including being able to test
> graphical apps (OpenGL, anyone?) with the very same hardware.

There seems to be some support for OpenGL in VirtualBox these days[1].
 I have no experience with it myself though.

> It may, however, be not so very straightforward to get started.
> Gentoo has a nice guide somewhere about setting up a (Gentoo)
> chroot.  After the first install, however, maintaining is a
> breeze.

The big limitation with a chroot is of course that the surrounding
system puts limits on what you can run in the chroot, though for many
uses that doesn't really matter.

/M

[1]: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjkzOA