[Haskell-beginners] on

Ivan Uemlianin ivan at llaisdy.com
Fri Jun 26 05:20:49 EDT 2009

Dear All

During some recent discussion about different ways of sorting a list by
some comparison function, one of the methods suggested was like this:

    sortByFunc = sortBy (compare `on` func)

Now, I can imagine how this works, and I don't want to discuss the
efficiency of this implementation (I imagine it's not "Schwartzian", for
example;).  I know what the backticks do (allow infix use of a function).

My question is: what is "on"?

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find anything about this, no doubt
because of all the false positives coming up in searches.  Please could
someone tell me its official title, or where I could find it in the docs?

Thanks and best wishes

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                    ivan at llaisdy.com
                     www.llaisdy.com
                         llaisdy.wordpress.com
                     www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

    "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                     (Schiller, Beethoven)