[Haskell-beginners] xml parsing

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Thu Jun 18 05:26:58 EDT 2009

Antoine Latter wrote:
> One option I've used before which isn't on the list is on hackage here:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/xml

Yes, that is a great library for quick-and-dirty xml work.
It's very easy to use. And it's very well maintained, because
it was written at Galois and is actively used there.

But if you need to do more serious XML work, including
support and verified compliance for the alphabet soup of XML
specs, you need to use one of the other libraries.

For example, the xml library will work fine with custom tags.
But if you want to verify against the DTD, you'll have to
look elsewhere. It is easy to search an XML tree by hand
with the xml library, but I don't think it will do an XPath
search for you. Etc.

By the way, perhaps the xml library should be added to
that wikibook page.

Hope this helps,
Yitz