[Haskell-beginners] Cabal not detecting foreign libraries

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 17 13:52:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:13:06AM -0500, aditya siram wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I am trying to install vacuum-cairo and leksah. For both these packages
> cabal complains that "gtk", "gtksourceview", "svgcairo" etc are not found.
> They are definetely installed on my Ubuntu Hardy Heron box. Where is Cabal
> looking?

When you say "they are definitely installed", what do you mean?  If
you mean you have installed Ubuntu packages like libgtk-dev (or
whatever it is called), that's good, but not enough. Cabal is looking
for *Haskell* libraries which contain the bindings to those foreign
libraries.  You will have to install gtk2hs, which provides them:

  http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/

-Brent