[Haskell-beginners] Testing unpure network code

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:59:44 EDT 2009

Hello. I have a problem with testing. I've wrote a client library for
NNTP protocol. However I don't know how to test it.

I though about spawning a thread for server inside a test but Haskell
(ghc and hugs?) uses green blocking threads so forkIO is not an option.
I cannot also use POSIX fork as in documentation it is stated that I
cannot use IO in argument. I'd not like to create separate process as
IPC is not something nice (and there is separation between two parts of
test). Testing on real server have also some disadvantages (on real one
it is not predictable and setting one just for tests...)

What is the correct solution?

PS. Please CC me as I'm not subscribe to the list. I will eventually use
Gmane but well. I'm in the process of writing NNTP client as no other
suited me ;)