[Haskell-beginners] Re: uses of random number generators

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sun Jul 26 04:08:54 EDT 2009

Michael P Mossey wrote:
> I have an application for random numbers. So far, in my journey with
> Haskell, I have learned basics and a few things about monads, and I was
> hoping I could get some guidance how to employ random # gens.
>
> Can I get a few examples or pointers? I believe I will have to run this
> in a State monad or the IO monad, will I not?

Yes, the  State StdGen  monad for example. Note however that it's best
to keep it abstract, i.e. to hide the fact that it happens to be a state
monad.

See also

  http://lukepalmer.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/use-monadrandom/

for making the case,

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/Understanding_monads

for detailing the random number monad, and

  http://apfelmus.nfshost.com/random-permutations.html

for an example use.

Regards,
apfelmus