[Haskell-beginners] Rank beginner question about debugging

Ben Wise bwise at oceanofstones.net
Tue Jul 21 09:26:19 EDT 2009

Folks,

I'm a rank beginner in Haskell, and though Haskell seems like a great
language to start using, I've got a serious concern about debugging.

In about 15 years of Lisp experience, then 15 years of C++, I've gotten
pretty accustomed to the idea of using a debugger with lots of pre- and
post-conditions on functions, breakpoints, stack trace, and variable
inspection -- even though it gets tricky with delayed evaluation,
macros, etc. in Lisp!

So I don't understand how serious programmers can work on large projects
in Haskell with nothing but compiler type-checking and QuickCheck. Yet
they get it done, so I must be missing something.

Things like the Haskell version of Eclipse seem to provide nothing but
syntax coloring and pass-through to 'make': no break points, stack
trace, or variable inspection that I can find.

Is there some serious IDE (even "emacs + gdb" is serious enough for me)
I'm missing? Do Haskell shops develop their own home-grown tools, or do
they do something completely different?

--
Ben P. Wise, PhD
GPG: 0xCAF514E1