[Haskell-beginners] GHC installation on RHEL 4 by non-root user

TJ Takei tj.takei at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 00:02:20 EST 2009

Hi GHC experts,

As a non-root user of Redhat (amd64) RHEL 4.0 server, I can not use
rpm. I like to install any relatively recent version of ghc to my
local installation area just for learning.
I downloaded first 64-bit binary archive that seems incompatible:
For example, utils/pwd/pwd does not run.
So I ended up downloading a src archive...
% wget http://haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.10.1/ghc-6.10.1-src.tar.bz2
Then unpack and boot:
% tar jxvf ghc-6.10.1-src.tar.bz2
% cd ghc-6.10.1
% sh boot

So far so good, but the next step "configure" fails... no matter what
args I give:
% ./configure --prefix=<my_local_inst_top>
 configure: error: GHC is required unless bootstrapping from .hc files.

After I edited mk/build.mk to uncomment BuildFlavour=quick, Gnu make fails :
% make
 mk/boilerplate.mk:56: mk/config.mk: No such file or directory

Understandably the unknown problem may have started in the configure stage.
I'm stuck.
Also I tried ghc-6.8.3-x86-64-unknown-linux.tar.bz2 that yields similar errors.
Yet another desperate trial of darcs seems no help:
downloaded...
wget http://darcs.haskel.org/ghc-STABLE-2008-11-08-ghc-corelibs-testsuite.tar.bz2
tar jxvf ...
darcs-all pull -a