[Haskell-beginners] Lambda Functions

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:51:32 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not 100% certain here, so someone may correct me, but I think this is
> what's going on:

Yep, that's right. Is it just me or the monomorphism restriction
suddenly became the hot topic here on beginners?

> Another way to write it ofc would simply be uncurry (==).

Better yet, write a type signature. I highly recommend writing type
signatures for *all* top-level definitions, including non-exported

- You avoid most cases where the monomorphism restriction would bother you.

- You avoid type errors on other functions (sometimes you make a
mistake but the code type checks with a wrong signature, and the type
error shows up only when you use the function elsewhere).

- It gives you some insights before implementing, and helps whoever
reads your code.

- It allows you to specialize the code when polymorphism is not needed.

Probably there are other reasons as well, but these are the most prominent.