[Haskell-beginners] Re: the ($) function (was desugaring an example from RWH)

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 13:27:01 EST 2009

The $ function is essentialy a "no-op". That is, it literally does nothing.
There is no difference in Haskell between a function and a reference to it.
The only purpose of $ is for grouping. The line in question below could have
been written identically as "fromQty <- atomically (readTVar fromBal)". The
$ groups together everything to the end of the line, and can be used to
avoid parentheses that could add noise to the code.