[Haskell-beginners] Re: Advice on what to install

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 28 19:54:34 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 03:44:31PM -0500, Chris Saunders wrote:
> All the advice I received suggests that I stick with the Haskell Platform
> so I don't think I will attempt to install GHC 6.12 or cabal.  I actually
> don't even really know what the Haskell Platform is - perhaps you could
> shed some light?

The Haskell Platform is a compiler along with a blessed set of
standard libraries and tools (e.g. cabal-install) which are stable and
have all been tested to work together---all with a convenient one-step
downloader/installer.  If you didn't use the Platform then you'd have
to install all of these things yourself, separately.

-Brent