[Haskell-beginners] Enumerated types

Tom Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 18:13:48 EST 2009

To add to what the other guys have said, I'd like to comment on style..

re 1 (disp_pref), it's much more compositional to split that function into
two parts:

the pure part: showPrefs = unlines . map show $ pref
and the non pure part: putStrLn

The reason that this is better is that a future function can manipulate the
String that showPrefs produces – it can append, it can drop characters from
it, it can reverse it, etc... This is not true of what is left over after
the action of printing the string has happened.

It lets you reuse that function *much* more.

Bob