[Haskell-beginners] Performance of parallel mergesort

Tom Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 04:09:41 EST 2009

The mergesort example given here has a rather nasty problem – it creates
sparks for mergeing the two lists at the same time as it creates the lists,
so there's always at least one task blocking waiting for it's producers.

This variation on a theme goes roughly twice as fast for me with -N1, and
*does* get a speedup from -N<somethinghigher>:

mergesort [] = []
mergesort [x] = [x]
mergesort [x,y] = if x < y then [x,y] else [y,x]
mergesort xs = (forceList sleft) `par`
               (forceList sright) `pseq`
               merge sleft sright
               where
                 (left,right) = split (length xs `div` 2) xs
                 sleft = mergesort left
                 sright = mergesort right

Note the `pseq` not `par` before the merge.  I also added one more
short-circuit case – we want to avoid spawning threads for tiny tasks like
sorting 1 element lists.

Here's my results on a dual core running OS X:

LappyBob:~ tatd2$ time ./test +RTS -N1
-0.117109518058233

real 0m4.608s
user 0m4.400s
sys 0m0.189s
LappyBob:~ tatd2$ time ./test +RTS -N2
-0.117109518058233

real 0m3.648s
user 0m6.360s
sys 0m0.220s
LappyBob:~ tatd2$ time ./test +RTS -N3
-0.117109518058233

real 0m50.679s
user 1m24.235s
sys 0m0.620s

The last result is still off the wall, but it's a lot better.

Bob