[Haskell-beginners] Applicability of FP unchanging things to real world changing things

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sat Dec 12 21:36:37 EST 2009

Computers think discretely.  Even the OO book is probably not going to
recognize the book's every move as it falls into someone's hands,
wanders around the library, perhaps sneaks out of the library or is
reshelved somewhere else, is checked out and goes across the globe, has
the cover torn and then taped together into pretty-good shape...

I prefer FP because it acknowledges that computers fundamentally operate
  like this. They model and approximate situations.  Sometimes
pretending to be those situations is not the best way to approximate them.

...[tried to give example but I'm too dizzy at the moment from finals-week]