[Haskell-beginners] Re: text file to data type

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Dec 8 05:29:39 EST 2009

Joe Fredette wrote:
> My suggestion would be to look into writing a parser (via parsec) to
> handle this. Parsec is fairly easy to learn, and since your data is a
> pretty simple format, the parser won't be hard to write.

While I'm all for using a proper parser, Brent Pedersen notes that his
data will have millions of rows, so that Parsec is likely to run into
memory problems.

I think something along the lines of

   import Data.ByteString.Lazy.Char8 as B

   parse = map (zipWith ($) formats . B.split '\t') . B.lines
       where
       formats = [str, str, int, int, int, int, int,
                  int, int, float, float]
       int   = fst . fromJust . readInt
       float = \s -> read (unpack s) :: Double
       str   = id

will do just fine. (The implementation of  float  is a kludge, I think
there's something on hackage for that, though?)

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com