[Haskell-beginners] definition of combinator

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Aug 23 20:44:27 EDT 2009

Although I can use libraries like Parsec, I don't really understand what a
combinator is, theoretically. There is an article here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinator

with the statement "A combinator is a higher-order function that uses only
function application and earlier defined combinators to define a result
from its arguments."

Okay, so I believe a "higher-order function" is a function that takes
function(s) as its argument(s). I don't know what "uses only function
application" means. Application of what functions to what? Can someone give
a concrete example that's simple?

Thanks,
Mike