[Haskell-beginners] Re: Selecting a GUI toolkit

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Thu Apr 30 05:12:40 EDT 2009

Thomas Davie wrote:
> Really, here's what that *should* look like:
>
> http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/rpg/tatd2/controls-macosx.png

Your link is for Panther, my link was for Jaguar. The wxHaskell also has
a screenshot on Panther:

http://wxhaskell.sourceforge.net/images/controls-macosx2.png

> Of note though, the main problem with WX is not that the controls look
> different, it's that they behave differently.  UI is not just about
> looks ;).

Ok.. how do they behave?  I bet you that they behave better than the Gtk
controls on OS X... ugh.

You are right that UI is not just looks. That's another of the issues
with X11 on OS X, it behaves wrong. The command key doesn't do anything,
so for example, it's a major pain to use Gimp on OS X without a two
button mouse.

How about Qt? Do you know if Qt behaves well on OS X? I thought that Qt
didn't look native on OS X (I'm on Ubuntu right now, so I can't check).

Daniel.