[Haskell-beginners] Re: Selecting a GUI toolkit

Andy Stewart lazycat.manatee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 20:21:08 EDT 2009

Hi Daniel,
Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at theingots.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This question is just idle curiosity. I don't actually plan to write a desktop GUI program. With
> that said, what library would you recommend to someone who wants to write a cross-platform desktop
> app with Haskell?
>
> Consider the following requirements:
>
> 1) Cross-platform. Windows, Linux and preferably OS X too.
> 2) Maintained, stable, mature, documented, etc.
> 3) Easy to use.
I use gtk2hs, it yes to all your need above.

I use gtk2hs-0.10.0 with GHC 6.10 (6.10.1 or 6.10.2) in Ubuntu (or Debian).

Below is detail install method:
1) Install GHC 6.10, :)
2) Install depend libraries:
sudo aptitude install automake libglade2-dev libgtksourceview-dev libgtksourceview2.0-dev libgconf2-dev librsvg2-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libgtkglext1-dev libgnomevfs2-dev xulrunner-dev -y
3) Download gtk2hs-0.10.0:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk2hs/gtk2hs-0.10.0.tar.gz
4) Compile gtk2hs-0.10.0:
autoconf && ./configure --enable-docs && make && sudo make install

And this have tutorial that introduce how to use gtk2hs:
http://darcs.haskell.org/gtk2hs/docs/tutorial/Tutorial_Port/

  -- Andy