[Haskell-beginners] problem cabal install'ing hmatrix

Erik Quaeghebeur equaeghe at nospammail.net
Thu Apr 23 17:54:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> Probably a dependency not mentionend in extra-libraries is missing. There is
> not a standard way to link -llapack. For instance, in Ubuntu/Debian we only
> need gsl and lapack:
>
> $ ld -lgsl -llapack
> ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address
>
> This means that everything is ok, but in other systems we may also need some
> of -l[gsl]cblas, -lgfortran, or -lf77blas, -latlas, -lgcc_s, etc.
>
> Try to find the correct libraries with
>
> $ ld -lgsl -llapack -lgslcblas

# ld -lgsl -llapack -lgslcblas
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address

> or other combinations, and modify the extra-libraries field in hmatrix.cabal.
> In any case, I will try to add cabal flags to cover common situations. (There
> is also a possible issue with ghc-6.8 that must be fixed, but the library
> should work ok with 6.10).

# ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.8.2

It seems we still don't know the cause; any more things I can do to
diagnose?

I'll also investigate the possibilities of resolving this issue by using
the gentoo haskell overlay or non-stable versions of ghc (6.10) in
Gentoo's repository.

Erik